I was doing my usual showertime venting and I came up with a brilliant idea (albeit a few months late) of documenting and writing about the experiences I am/have been going through. My life is pretty mundane, but I would say that the turn of events that I have been spiraling through have made it not only stressful (to me), but also very telling of the American society we live in today. For me to start launching into a diatribe of daily dilemmas I go through would give only a partial viewpoint of who I am and allow for an uninformed perspective of my life. So here it is as simply and thoroughly as I can define myself in ten short statements.
1. I am a a Black American woman, while this statement might seem unnecessary I feel that it encompasses a large part of my identity. Like many people (I assume) my identity informs many other aspects of my life.
2. I am a recent college graduate from a prestigious liberal arts school. (Which I won’t go so far to say it was a waste of money, but my college debts have me questioning how wise it was to go to a “top tier” school yet still be unemployed.)
3. I am unemployed and have been for many months.
4. I am an expectant mother with my first child, a boy. (Due late April)
5. My significant other (who I will refer to as B) recently lost his job as well.
6. I am broke (I’m assuming statement 3 & 5 would have lead you to this conclusion but I thought I’d put it out there anyway).
7. I am a writer, in the process of writing what I hope will be my first published work.
8. I am a lover and a fighter. I love many things: art, music, nature, football, politics, but I also am a fighter and will fight for the things I love and believe in.
9. I am a former teacher, but still an educator.
10. I constantly feel lost in this machine called life, but I endure and try to improve myself and the world around me. I used to foolishly believe that this was a consequence of my own altruism, but with my impending motherhood I realize that my actions are now, and probably have always been very selfishly for my family’s well-being and happiness.
Clearly this is not everything about me, but I think it’s an adequate start. Hopefully this endeavor will be fruitful to me and my sanity and perhaps give somebody else some insight into what a different walk of life looks like.